Spicy Quinoa, Kale & Hot Sausage Salad
Intimidated by kale? Don't be! While it may be one of the healthiest vegetables around, you can still make it taste good. The spicy dressing used here combines the flavors of these fresh ingredients into an addictive salad!
- quinoa - 1 cup
- chicken stock - 2 cups
- black beans - 1 can (drained & rinsed)
- corn - 1 cup
- chopped baby portabella - 3 each
- hot Italian sausage - 3 links
- chopped red onion - 1/2 medium onion
- chopped tomato - 1 each
- chopped kale - 4 cups
- oilve oil - 2 tbsp
- lime juice - 1/4 cup (approx 2 limes)
- minced garlic - 1 tsp
- sriracha - 3 tbsp
- honey - 1 tsp
- cayenne pepper - 1/4 tsp
- salt & black pepper - to taste
- Add quinoa & chicken stock to sauce pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Stir occasionally until tender. (approximately 15 minutes).
- While that's simmering, heat grill pan and grill sausage until cooked through. Slice into bite size pieces.
- Chop kale into bite size pieces and put in large salad bowl.
- Add tomato and onion to bowl.
- Add portabella, corn and black beans to cooked quinoa and heat through.
- Add quinoa mixture and sausage to salad bowl. Mix well.
- Prepare dressing: mix olive oil, lime juice, sriracha, honey, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad, toss and serve.