Sour Cream Coffee Cake
When you are looking for a quick recipe that will please the taste buds both for a sweet breakfast bite or an easy dessert, the sour cream coffee cake is the way to go. This recipe is courtesy of 'Betty Crocker's new Cookbook'. The only real change is the glaze, as I prefer an orange glaze to the vanilla called for in the book's recipe.
- brown sugar - 1/2 cup
- chopped walnuts - 1/2 cup
- ground cinnamon - 1 3/4 tsp
- granulated sugar - 1 1/2 cups
- unsalted butter - 3/4 cup (softened)
- vanilla extract - 1 1/2 tsp
- eggs - 3 ea (large)
- all purpose flour - 3 cups
- baking powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- baking soda - 1 1/2 tsp
- salt - 3 /4 tsp
- sour cream - 1 1/2 cups
- confectioners sugar - 1/2 cup
- orange extract - 1/4 tsp
- milk - 3 tsp
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease bottom and sides of standard 12 cup bundt pan. This recipe will fill two 9 x5 x3 loaf pans if you prefer.
- Prepare filling, by combining chopped walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, butter, sugar and vanilla. Mix with electric mixer on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add a third of flour mixture to egg & sugar blend, mix well. Add a third of the sour cream, mix well. Repeat until all of the flour mixture and sour cream have been integrated.
- Spread one third of mixture in bundt pan. Sprinkle one third of nut filling on top. Repeat twice.
- Bake for approximately one hour, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool slightly and remove from pan. Let cool for an additional 10 minutes before adding glaze.
- In small mixing bowl, combine confectioners sugar, orange extract & milk until smooth.
- Drizzle glaze over cake. Serve either warm or room temperature. Cake will hold for 3-4 days.