Sausage & Spinach Stuffed Shells
- jumbo pasta shells - 16 each
- hot italian sausage - 4 links
- spinach - 2 cups
- ricotta cheese - 12 oz
- large egg - 1 each
- mozzarella cheese - 2 cups
- garlic powder - 1 tbsp
- dried basil - 1 tbsp
- red pepper flakes - 1 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- marinara sauce - 1 jar (or homemade)
- Cook pasta shells in salted water. Set aside to cool for handling during stuffing.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice open sausages and squeeze out of their casings into a medium saute pan over med-high heat. Cook fully.
- Chop spinach. Add to large mixing bowl.
- Add egg, ricotta, 1 cup of the mozzarella, garlic, basil, red pepper flakes and salt.
- Add cooked sausage to bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Put thin layer of marinara in bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Begin filling shells with filling and line up in baking dish.
- Once all shells have been filled, topped with 1/2 cup mozzarella.
- Top shells with marinara sauce until mostly covered (this prevents the pasta from drying out).
- Finish with remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella.
- Cover with aluminum foil, and bake for approximately 45 minutes.
If you are looking for a good, go-to stuffed shells recipe, then I have just the one for you! I learned this dish from my mother, and despite trying many other versions, I always come back to this recipe for stuffed shells. If you are not a fan of spicy dishes, just switch the hot Italian sausage to mild and leave out the red pepper flakes. It will still make a delicious stuffed shells dinner!Add to Favourites