Oven Roasted Chicken
Sometimes chicken is the most under-rated of meats. People assume it will be dry or boring, but when it is cooked correctly, it is just plain delicious! Here is a very simple recipe on how to cook a whole roaster chicken that is sure to please the whole family.
- Whole Chicken - 5 lb
- lemon - 1 each
- olive oil - 2 tsbp
- onion - 1 each
- garlic - 6 cloves
- ground cumin - 2 tbsp
- chili powder - 2 tbsp
- salt & black pepper - to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Prepare roasting pan (or sheet pan in a pinch!) with layer of foil for easy clean-up and a wire rack on top. This will help the air circulate around the chicken for more even cooking and maintain crispier skin.
- Remove chicken from packaging, remove innards, and rinse chicken.
- Mince garlic cloves and place the garlic under the chicken skin.
- Slice lemon in half. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lemon over the chicken. Place both halves inside the chicken cavity.
- Cut onion in quarters and place inside the chicken cavity with the lemon.
- Sprinkle cumin, chili powder and salt & black pepper on all sides of the chicken.
- Place chicken breast side down on the wire rack and put in oven.
- Cook at 425 degrees for approximately 90 minutes. Confirm the chicken is finished by checking the internal temperature of the breast with a meat thermometer (you are looking for 160 degrees). Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes before serving (cover with foil to keep warm).