When it comes to meatballs every family has their own recipe. Personally, I love to use ground sirloin, fresh bread crumbs, and cook them for hours in a sauce, but sometimes that just not possible. So here I have a very basic Italian meatball recipe for you with ingredients most likely already in your cabinet. You can always make these up and freeze them for later use.
- 90/10 ground beef - 1 lb
- large egg - 1 each
- onion - 1/2 medium onion - minced
- minced garlic - 4 cloves
- Italian bread crumbs - 1 cup
- parmesan cheese - 1/4 cup
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- salt - 1/4 tsp
- red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- olive oil - 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small saute pan, drizzle a tsp of olive oil and add the minced garlic & onion. Put over med-low heat, tossing occasionally until onion is translucent. Set aside. (Note: by adding them to a cold pan you are less likely to burn the garlic)
- Prepare a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, parmesan, s&p, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, and the onion & garlic mixture.
- Combine ingredients with your hands until thoroughly mixed.
- Begin shaping meatballs (this recipe will make 12 when formed just larger than a golfball). Make sure they are all the same size for consistent cooking. Place in prepared dish as completed.
- Put meatballs in oven for 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, prepare your favorite marinara sauce.
- Rotate meatballs and return to oven for an addition 10 minutes.
- Rotate one final time and return the meatballs to the oven for 10 more minutes.
- Add meatballs to marinara sauce and let simmer for at least 20 minutes (the longer you have time for, the better they taste!).
- When serving the Italian meatballs, grate fresh parmesan over the top and enjoy.