Butternut Squash & Parsnip Soup
Looking for a quick, easy to make soup for a chilly evening? You can't go wrong with this butternut squash and parsnip soup! It's simple, done in less than 30 minutes and delicious.
- butternut squash - 3 cups (chopped)
- parsnip - 1 ea (peeled & chopped)
- water - 1.5 cups
- chicken stock - 1.5 cups
- smoked chipolte salt - 1/4 tsp
- cumin - 1/4 tsp
- chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- coriander - 1/4 tsp
- ground black pepper - 1.5 tsp
- salt - to taste
- sour cream - 4 tsp
- In a medium pot, add water, chicken stock, butternut squash, parsnip, smoked chipolte salt, cumin, chili powder, coriander and black pepper.
- Cook over med-high heat until vegetables are very tender (approx 20-25 minutes).
- Using a hand blender, liquify the mixture.
- Add salt if necessary to taste.
- Serve hot with a tsp of sour cream in the center of each serving. You can also garnish with fresh chives for some color.
Many soups need to be cooked for hours at a time, but this Butternut Squash & Parsnip Soup cooks in no time and is a delicious treat. The addition of the parsnip adds a nice layer to the flavor profile.
I was fortunate to be given a selection of specialty salts, in which was the smoked chipolte salt used in the above recipe. While it is not a necessary ingredient, it certainly adds a wonderful smoky flavor to the dish. The dollop of sour cream when serving the butternut squash soup adds a delectable creaminess that is sure to please your palate.Add to Favourites